Annual Deadline: April 15. 11:59 PM
Gallery 101 hosts 4-6 exhibitions each year, as well as film screenings, lectures, performances and other activities. As an artist-run-centre, we support experimentation, research, and risk-taking in visual, media, and performance arts that explore self-representation of decolonizing, intersectional counter-narratives. We pay professional artist fees in accordance with CARFAC standards.
Artists and curators at all stages of their careers, nationally or internationally, and working in any media or discipline, including performance and media arts, are welcome to apply. Individual and group show proposals are welcome.
We no longer accept hardcopy proposals.
Below are our revised guidelines for 2022. If you submitted your proposal before March 25 2022 we will keep in mind that you submitted early and consider your application as is - there is no need to re-submit.
Proposal Guidelines 2022
(Note: if you don't want to sign up for a WeTransfer account, click the "No thank you" button to proceed without creating an account)
Put Your Name-Submissions 2022 in the WeTransfer message.
Part A – Proposal & background
Please submit the following in is this order as one .pdf document titled FirstnameLastname_ExhibitionTitle.pdf
- Cover page with your name, place of residence, email address, and phone number
- Artist Bio (200 words or less)
For Group Proposals, include one bio (200 words) for each member
- Proposal Concept: what themes or ideas are you exploring in this proposal, and how do they fit with Gallery101’s mandate? (250 words or less)
For a Group Proposal, include only one proposal concept for the group.
- Project: describe what the physical exhibition installation or performance will look like (200 words or less)
Some things to consider: will pieces be mounted on walls or plinths? Is the work interactive? Will you need A/V equipment? What colour(s) should the walls be?
Please see our floorplans (linked below) and recent exhibitions for a sense of our current facilities.
- Ideas for related outreach programming facilitated by you (e.g., workshops, film screenings, performances, round table discussions with community groups or organizations relevant to your work etc).
- Support Material list
○ Include title, dimensions, year created (if applicable), materials/medium and 1-2 sentence descriptions for each piece.
○ If submitting video/audio material, include the links here. Do not send video or audio files. Important: Please cue links to the most relevant moments.
Part B – Support Material
Please note that the Selections Committee can only allocate 7 minutes per application. Select your support materials with this time constraint in mind.
Images: up to 12 jpgs, 72 dpi, minimum 1024x768 pixels, labelled in the order you would like them to appear: e.g. FirstnameLastname_01Title.jpg
For a group proposal, the maximum number of images is stil 12. You can choose how to allocate the number of images per group member.
Submit images as individual jpegs via WeTransfer along with Part A.
Video/audio: list up to 5 Vimeo or YouTube links - do not send video or audio files. Please set links to be queued up to the parts you want the jury to see or hear.
If these submission guidelines present barriers please reach out to Director/Curator Laura Margita, to discuss alternative proposal formats: firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-230-2799
If you have any questions or need help with any of the technical aspects of the proposal submission, please reach out to email@example.com