Annual Submissions Deadline: Extended due to COVID-19
Gallery 101 hosts 4-6 exhibitions each year, as well as many video presentations, lectures, performances and other activities. As an artist-run-centre, we support experimentation, research, and risk-taking in visual, media, and performance arts that explore self-representation of diverse identities and decolonizing, intersectional counter-narratives. We pay professional artist fees in accordance to CARFAC standards.
Artists and curators working at all stages of their careers and in any media or discipline, including performance and media arts, are welcome to apply. Individual and group show proposals are welcome.
We no longer accept hardcopy submissions.
If these submission guidelines are a barrier and you’d prefer to submit in a more accessible format please reach out to Director/Curator Laura Margita, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-230-2799
Gallery 101 supports our exhibiting artists in the following ways:
- We pay artist’s fees in accordance with the current CARFAC Fee Schedule
- Studio visits with the Director/Curator in preparation for your exhibiton.
- Exhibition installation by our experienced gallery technician Hector Tovar (working with artists one-on-one if needed/possible)
- Media outreach and promotion for your exhibition
- A curatorial text to accompany your show
- Accompanying outreach prgramming, for which CARFAC fees are also provided
- Where needed and possible, we’ll aim to support the artist in the execution of their project through travel and accommodation, shipping, nail-to-nail insurance coverage of work
- We encourage selected artists to apply for travel and project funding to support your project, and are happy to assist with letters of support.
Put Submissions 2020 – Your name in the WeTransfer message.
Part A – Proposal & background
Please submit the following in is this order as one .pdf document titled FirstnameLastname_ExhibitionTitle.pdf
- Cover with your name, exhibition name, and your email address
- Project description or letter of intent, including how your proposal fits with Gallery101 and your vision for the exhibition. (500 words or less)
Some things to consider: will the pieces be mounted on walls or plinths? Is the work interactive? Will you need A/V equipment? Please see our floorplans(linked below) and 2018-2019 exhibitions for a sense of our current facilities.
- Ideas for related outreach programming facilitated by you or by someone/ a group or community organization relevant to your project (workshops, artist q&a, screenings, panels etc)
- Support material image identification list:
• If submitting video/audio material, include the links here.
• Include title, dimensions, year created (if applicable), materials/medium and brief descriptions for each piece.
- Artist Statement: what drives your practice in general? (500 words or less)
- Artist Bio
- Artist CV (optional)
For group proposals, include one statement for the group (what are you trying to achieve together?), and a bio and CV for each group member
Part B – Support Material
Please note that the time allotted to review support material by the selections committee cannot exceed 7 minutes per application. Select your support materials with this time constraint in mind.
Images: up to 12 jpgs, 72 dpi, minimum 1024x768 pixels, labeled in the order you would like them to appear: e.g. FirstnameLastname_01WorkTitle.jpg
Video/audio material: list up to 5 Vimeo or youtube links. Please set links to be queued up to the parts you want the jury to see or hear.